Crochet Seat Belt Cozy and Free Pattern

Is anyone else bothered by their seat belt strap during the summer? When I wear t-shirts or tank tops, my seat belt strap feels like it’s chafing my skin, especially if I get a bit of sunburn. Crochet a simple seat belt cozy that buttons onto your belt and viola! Problem solved.

Free Crochet Seat Belt Cozy Pattern

You’ll need:
1 ball of cotton yarn, medium (4) weight (such as Sugar and Cream)
Crochet hook size G or H.
Two buttons with shanks, 1/2 to 5/8″
Needle and matching thread

Row 1: Ch 27. Turn.
Row 2: DC in second chain from hook and across to end of row, Ch. 2. Turn.
Rows 3 to 11: DC in each stitch; Ch. 2, turn at end of each row.
Row 12-14: DC across in each st, at end of row, sk last stitch, Ch. 2 and turn. (This will decrease rows to the end, making a tab.
Fasten off yarn at end of Row 14, weave in ends.

With same or contrasting color yarn, SC around outside of cozy.

For buttons, wrap cozy around your seat belt and mark button placement. Sew on buttons and enjoy your new comfortable seat belt!

What projects have you designed to solve an everyday need or problem?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
This entry was posted in cotton, crochet, summer. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Crochet Seat Belt Cozy and Free Pattern

1. Golden Lilly Crafts says:

What a great idea Martha, I might borrow that pattern, it's just what I need. Thanks

2. adriene says:

That is a super-fantastic idea! That would also keep your top from getting dirty… My dad (who was a mechanic) was forever getting his dirt and grime on the driver's side seatbelt. This would really help. I'm going to make a few for my mom.

3. Elizabeth says:

So cute. :) I have that all the time – not just summer. I just figured it was my height – I'm not short, but short enough to be irritated by that belt. May give this a go sometime. :)

4. Anonymous says:

This is a great idea Marti! I love the photos in your post as well!-Erin of Elysian Studios

5. Kim says:

Yes, yes, yes! I am short so the seat belt digs right into my neck. I have been thinking about making one of quilted fabric but this is awesome!

6. Martha Winger says:

Glad you are finding this useful! I am making my third one of these now! Let me know if you see any problems with the pattern. I'm a newbie at writing them.

7. fairyhedgehog says:

This is a great idea and I plan to make one!

8. Sachiko says:

Wow, I have never seen this before. Great idea!

9. Wendy says:

Thanks so much, I get this everytime I'm not wearing a shirt with a collar. I'm going on a long journey at the weekend and was thinking about sewing one, but I'll try this instead!

10. Wendy says:

Hello, I made one of these and it's BRILLIANT! You can see my version here: http://thecraftersapprentice.blogspot.com/2011/07/whats-been-on-hook.html

11. jd says:

you know what i think of this cool idea. gonna post a link to it on my blog. thanks,
    jd

12. Jesika says:

Thank you for coming up with this! I have a 3 year old daughter that just moved up to the boater seat system and even though the seat has a place to help keep the seat belt where it needs to be it still leaves red marks when she is sleeping in the car. I just love this be cuz I can make it in her fav color. She loves when I make her home made things.